Tune in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4pm (GMT)
** SCROLL DOWN FOR LATEST INGREDIENTS LIST **
Join me and the kids for our LIVE cookalong! Each week we whip up simple meals that the kids can get involved in – I figure if mine are going to make a mess; yours might as well too! The ultimate goal? Keep the kids busy for an hour, everyone eats dinner, maybe learns a thing or two and the mess isn’t too bad. I feel confident on the first couple of goals.
We’re in this together!
Live streamed on
MONDAY 6th April – Stuffed Potato Skins
These fun and easy stuffed potato skins are easy for the kids to make and filling enough for dinner! Make sure you PRE-BAKE your potatoes!
- baked beans with steamed vegetables, or…
- green salad and sausages!
What you need:
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- 4 pre-baked baking potatoes (we just use large white potatoes 1pp)
- 200g grated cheddar cheese (about two handfuls)
- 4 tbsp butter
- Splash milk
- Herbs – fresh (chives, parsley, coriander) or any dried herbs
- Fillings (choose any) – cooked bacon chopped, tinned tuna, ripped chorizo, ham, bunch diced vegetables fried till soft (onions, peppers, mushrooms, anything else you want)
- Optional – sour cream to garnish
NOTE – I prick my spuds with a fork and microwave them for 10 minutes to cook through (turning over halfway) then wipe them with olive oil and bake in a pre-heated oven (180cFAN) for 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, put them in the oven uncooked for 90minutes or until cooked through.
WEDNESDAY 8th April – Cheats Paella
My one-pot cheats paella is great to make for a family dinner! This is a great recipe to prepare the ingredients for the kids so they can spend their time getting bits ready and stirring the frying pan – you’ll want to be on hand to supervise them while cooking.
You choose the main ingredient to make it a:
- Shellfish Paella (e.g prawns or bag frozen mixed seafood) or
- Meat Paella (diced chicken breast, I’ll be using sliced pork belly) or
- Vegetarian Paella (broccoli/cauliflower florets)
- This one is great on it’s own!
What you need:
- Large frying pan with lid or foil to cover if you don’t have a lid
- Chopping board
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Splash olive oil
- 1 mug of basmati rice
- 1 stock cube (chicken or veg)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or any other diced veg
- 500g main ingredient – (see note above; seafood or vegetarian or meat paella)
- Optional – 1 tbsp smoked paprika (it really needs this or but a pre-made seasoning mix)
- Optional – Pinch turmeric
- Optional – handful chopped fresh herbs (parsley or coriander)
FRIDAY 10th April – Fish Finger Sandwiches
What kids don’t like fish fingers!? My homemade ones are designed for maximum fun for the kids and minimal cooking.. We bake these ones in the oven to make them easy to handle for the kids, but feel free to shallow fry if you want that golden crust!
You will need breadcrumbs – Just grate a couple of slices of bread or blitz in a food processor or buy ready made breadcrumbs
- This is great on it’s own! But if you have only the fish fingers we’d have them with mushy peas and oven baked chips! (I won’t make chips on this LIVE cookalong but I’ve given you a simple recipe below in case you want to do it yourself, gosh I’m so nice 🙂 ).
What you need:
- 3 Mixing bowls
- Baking Tray
- Foil or baking paper
- 500g white fish fillets, cut into 1 inch wide strips (basically shaped like fish fingers!)
- 1 cup / 200g flour
- 1 egg + splash milk
- 2 cups (500ml) breadcrumbs
- 1 iceburg lettuce
- 4 brioche buns (or any bun or sliced bread)
- 8 tbsp mayonnaise
- Optional – teaspoon mustard (Dijon or other)
- Little squeeze lemon juice
We’re having sandwiches but if you want to make oven chips, here goes..: 1 potato per person, left unpeeled, slice into wedges, place in bowl and mix with olive oil, salt/pepper, pinch oregano, pinch paprika, spread on baking tray (lined with foil or baking parchment) and bake in pre-heated oven at 200cFAN for 30-40 mins