HOMEMADE KIDS CURRY WITH RAITA (INDIAN STYLE YOGURT)
I’ve made this super easy for the kids to make, but there’s plenty of scope for the adults to jazz it up even more. This is a very ‘loose’ curry best served in a bowl, if you’d like it thicker see notes on using cornflour.
You can make a vegetable curry, fish curry or meat curry – we’ll make these all in the same way so choose what your ‘main ingredient’ will be, either:
- Fish Curry – 400g fish fillets (or mixed seafood, prawns, etc.)
- Meat Curry – 400g diced chicken or lamb or pork belly strips
- Vegetable Curry – 1 whole cauliflower, broken into florets
- Rice! See note below
What you need:
- 1 frying pan + spoon
- 1 saucepan for rice + lid
- 1 cereal bowl + spoon
Ingredients – Curry:
- Splash olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 3 tbsp mild curry powder (or 1 tbsp of; ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and a pinch of turmeric)
- Pinch sugar or 1 tsp honey
- 1 tin chickpeas
- OPTIONAL – 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- OPTIONAL – 1 cup frozen peas or other diced veg
- OPTIONAL – fresh coriander garnish
- ADULT OPTIONAL – you can add fresh chili’s for those that want it hot, a squeeze of lime works well!
Ingredients – Raita :
- 1 cup plain or greek yogurt
- pinch salt
- pinch ground cumin
- squeeze lime/lemon
Thicken sauce: mix together 1 tbsp cornflour with 3 tbsp cold water, pour it in, warm it up and it will thicken.
Rice: add 1 cup/mug basmati rice to saucepan, with same amount of water, pinch salt. Bring to boil, then reduce temperature to lowest setting, put lid on and leave to cook for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to rest with lid on for 5 minutes.
PS. the picture shows this as a prawn curry – in this episode we used chicken!