Tofu Stir Fry – deep fried tofu with coriander and chilli dressing.
I first tried a tofu stir fry whilst travelling through China and I was converted. Deep fried tofu in batter was delicious!
You either love it or simply don’t see the point of it! I got quite into these little tofu treats in China; usually found in soups or stir fry dishes (but go great on their own with a little coriander and chilli dressing).
Tofu Stir Fry
Deep Fried Tofu Recipe – Ingredients:
For the tofu:
1 packet of tofu
1 tablespoon of plain flour
1 tablespoon of corn flour
Pinch of tumeric (just to colour not taste)
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
1 egg whisked
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Chilli and Coriander Dressing:
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
1/2 red chilli finely diced (seeds in = hot, de-seeded = mild)
1/2 clove garlic finely diced
Deep Fried Tofu Recipe – Method:
To make the Coriander and Chilli dressing:
- Mix together all ingredients and put into a small bowl or cup.
- Once your oil is hot and ready to deep fry the tofu squares pour a tablespoon of the hot oil onto the dressing ingredients – they should sizzle.
- Drizzle this over your finished tofu if having as a side dish.
To make the deep fried tofu:
- Mix together the plain flour, corn flour, tumeric and chilli flakes and put into a bowl
- Put the whisked egg into another bowl
- Cut the tofu into equal squares (about 1x1inch)
- Dip the tofu squares into the egg, then into the flour and then drop into the deep fat fryer (or saucepan with hot oil in ready to go)
- Once they turn golden remove and drain (you don’t need to cook the tofu; you’re just crisping the flour)
- Put onto a plate; drizzle over the coriander and chilli dressing if having as a side.
Goes well with spicy aubergine stir fry or on its own with a questionable love of tofu..