My leftover soup recipe (as featured in Cibare Magazine) has a secret ingredient that changes this from leftover soup.. to LEFTOVER SOUP?! WOOHOO!!
Everyone loves leftovers soup and everyone has leftovers. Leftover chicken recipes, leftover turkey recipes, leftover leftovers recipes! Especially around the festive season when we all lose the concept of portion control and seem to cook at least four times the amount of food we normally would.
But even during the standard working week we have leftovers – a few spare potatoes, the odd bunch of greens, dare I say some roast meat lurking at the back of the fridge. It’s time to put them to good use!
You’ll end up cooking far more than you need just to have some leftovers to make this soup with! Turkey soup, chicken soup, ham soup – you name it and you can use it!
Leftover Soup – Ingredients (serves 4):
1 onion diced
1 carrot – peeled and diced
1 clove garlic sliced
1/2 glass of white wine
2 Bay leaves
Leftovers – but try to include:
– some greens (runner beans, peas, chopped kale, whatever, as long as it is green)
– some potatoes (chopped roasted potatoes or throw in a few uncooked new potatoes – chopped in quarters)
1.5 pint stock (ideally chicken but vegetable will do)
Squeeze of lemon
Pinch dried chilli flakes
Secret Ingredient: 2-3 tablespoons Yellow Split Pea Hummus (recipe here) – if you don’t have it a shop bought hummus might just do.
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Gently fry the onions and carrots for a few minutes, add the garlic and bay leaves and stir for a minute (don’t burn the garlic).
- Turn up the heat and add the wine and reduce by half.
- Once done, add all your leftovers (literally anything in your fridge)
- Pour in the stock and bring to a light simmer for 10 mins.
- Turn off the heat and spoon in your hummus and mix into the broth. Season and taste, then add a little squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with some fresh parsley, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of chilli flakes.
BOOM! You’ve just made – LEFTOVER SOUP! WOOHOO!
My leftover soup recipe as featured on page 31 of Cibare Magazine