Deep fried ice cream – that’s right, I said deep fried ice cream! Looks like a boiled egg with soldiers but something is a little different… Deep fried ice cream is surprisingly easy to make, you just need to prepare them ahead of time so they can freeze before you deep fry them!
Deep fried ice cream with mango puree made to look like boiled eggs – perfect Easter egg recipe!
Think of this Easter egg recipe as more of an assembly than a recipe – I promise it’ll be easier than an IKEA flatpack!
Want a different dessert recipe?
Deep Fried Ice Cream – Ingredients:
Ice cream (not ‘soft scoop’)
Egg wash (2 eggs whisked with dash water)
Cup plain flour
2 Cups breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Vegetable oil (enough to deep fry)
Fresh Mango (or yellow coloured icing pen)
- For the ‘yolk’ you could use yellow icing or make a mango puree. Simply cut up some fresh mango, blitz in a blender and pass through a sieve.
- Stage 1: Scoop out a small ball of ice cream, and then very quickly with your hands shape roughly into a slight egg shape (but don’t worry about this too much, just get it round-ish.
- Put back in freezer for an hour or more.
- Stage 2: Prepare the ‘shell’ – mix the ground cinnamon with the breadcrumbs and put into a bowl, next to it have your egg wash and a third bowl with your flour. Take out one of the ice cream balls from the freezer and without delay (read: hurry the hell up!!) roll the ice cream quickly in the flour, then egg wash, back into the flour, then the egg wash again and finally in the breadcrumbs – cover well and pat down and put back in the freezer.
- Repeat with all the balls.
- Ideally leave the breadcumbed balls in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan or deep fat frier until when you sprinkle a few breadcrumbs they start to fry immediately. You need enough oil to cover the balls in one go.
- Take one ball at a time out of the freezer, drop gently into the deep fat fryer just until breadcrumbs are golden or crisp – no more than a minute should be required.
- To serve, using a sharp knife cut the tip off the ‘egg’, place the large part in an egg cup, place the tip next to the egg cup. Add a small dollop of mango puree or yellow icing at the centre of each. Serve with some toasted soldiers with a little icing sugar dusted on top.
BOOM! You have a deep-fried ice cream Easter egg! Try saying that with a soldier in your mouth!
Goes well with screaming kids (big and small!)