Crumpet Pizza, yes they’re a thing. How to make crumpet pizzas is as easy as it sounds – they’re basically pimped-up crumpets.
OK, OK, a moment of disclosure, I was dubious about these little crumpet pizza sliders. The concept just didn’t really get me salivating.
But.. I started playing about and to be fair they tasted pretty darn good! So I thought I would whip up a proper batch and share my crumpet pizza recipe with you.
Like most things in life there is a time and place for them. Crumpet pizzas have their time and place. When you don’t have time – yes. The place, usually hidden in the back of your kitchen when you just want something to eat and fancy giving it a little flair.
And to be fair what’s not to like about crumpet pizzas? Crumpets – I love them (especially with peanut butter and a little jam dotted on top), pizza’s – always a favourite. Put them together and pizza crumpet it born. Sure, pizza crumpet have that ring of student life, and they do make for a good student bite, but if you’re short on lunch ideas and want something quick and surprisingly tasty, just go for it.
Crumpet Pizza - how to make crumpet pizzas
Crumpet pizzas are a naughty, easy and quick fix for a tasty lunch! How to make crumpet pizzas couldn't be quicker...
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Generous couple of pinches oregano
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tbsp ketchup
- 4 crumpets
- ½ bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 baby plum tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 150g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- (any other toppings you want!)
- Step 1 Pre-heat grill
- Step 2 Start by toasting your crumpets, while they are toasting mix together in a small bowl the tomato puree, ketchup, oregano and water.
- Step 3 Once the crumpets are toasted spread some of the tomato sauce over the top of the crumpets with the back of a spoon.
- Step 4 Add your toppings of mushroom slices, bell pepper, baby plum tomatoes, etc.
- Step 5 Finally scatter some of the grated cheddar on top and finish with placing a few sliced of mozzarella on each one.
- Step 6 Pop under a pre-heated grill for a few minutes or until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Step 7 Garnish with a few sprigs of basil