Canned Jackfruit Recipes: My pulled jackfruit is a classic take on bbq pulled pork and makes a great vegan alternative; time to jump on the jackfruit pulled pork band wagon!
Canned jackfruit recipes are a great thing to master; you can source canned jackfruit online (I buy mine from Amazon – here) from a few different vendors and it lasts for ages making it a great store cupboard item. Making pulled jackfruit, or jackfruit pulled pork is really easy and a fantastic alternative to meat and is pretty quick to do!
I was introduced to jackfruit a couple of years ago and have become quite a fan; let’s keep things real; no it doesn’t taste like pork; but it does have a similar texture to pulled pork. It’s pretty tasteless on it’s own and if you’re trying to make canned jackfruit recipes that’s been sitting in brine for God-knows how long it really doesn’t taste of anything. SO you need a good BBQ sauce to give it some flavour.
I recently made pulled jackfruit on BBC 3CR radio on the Weekend Kitchen show which I’ve been doing for the last five or six years and it went down a storm, again I used canned jackfruit for convenience. Check out my instagram stories if you want to watch a sneaky video I took during recording! 🙂 and making jackfruit pulled pork for four people takes about 15 minutes; it couldn’t be easier.
I’ve also cooked pulled jackfruit as part of a large 160 person event in a huge paella dish as a vegan lunch! It took a little longer than 15 minutes (hell it took us half an hour just to open all the canned jackfruit!).
In terms of serving pulled jackfruit; you can treat it like regular pulled pork, serve on a jacket potato, in a bun with salad, or as I usually do, just a large bowl of pulled jackfruit with a few more sliced chilis on top and a beer on the side.
The point is simply this; we should be eating less meat and using canned jackfruit is a nice step in that direction; and since it might no be the thing you eat all the time, having some good canned jackfruit recipes to hand makes a nice alternative; it’s quick, easy and really is tasty. So give it a go and let me know how you get on.
Here’s my canned jackfruit recipe for pulled jackfruit
Canned Jackfruit Recipes - Jackfruit Pulled Pork
- 500g jackfruit (2 cans jackfruit)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Splash olive oil
- Few sprigs thyme
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- 1 red chili chopped
- BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 100ml tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (dark)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch chipotle flakes
- Step 1 Drain the canned jackfruit and rinse
- Step 2 pat dry.
- Step 3 On a high heat, fry the jackfruit in olive oil and leave them alone! You want to colour the jackfruit so don’t touch them for a few minutes until they start to colour then turn them over.
- Step 4 Once they are all turned add the garlic and chili, being careful not to burn the garlic, turn the heat down a fraction.
- Step 5 Whilst you are waiting on the jackfruit you can make the BBQ sauce
- Step 6 simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Step 7 Once the jackfruit is caramelised pour in the bbq sauce along with the same amount of water
- Step 8 use a potato masher or back of your spoon to help break up the jackfruit
- Step 9 simmer until the bbq sauce has thickened and reduced by about half then remove from the heat.
- Step 10 Leave to rest for a minute before serving with some chopped coriander on top. Either serve in a bun or even on it’s own with a side of coleslaw.