How to make Pumpkin Pie, this is my easy homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe – an American (and personal) childhood favourite.
My Pumpkin Pie recipe shows how make pumpkin pie and is totally easy to do.
A good pumpkin pie recipe is a great way to make the most of all those scary pumpkins over Halloween.
If you’re looking for an easy how to make pumpkin pie recipe – this is it.
I love pumpkin pie, I especially like the added hint of maple syrup and dusting the tin with some coco power to give a lovely bitterness to offset the sweet pumpkin pie filling.
As a kid I lived in New Jersey, USA (or New Joisey as it is pronounced!) and pumpkin pie was a firm favourite with the kids on our block (and the rest of the country!). Mind you, so were Smores but not everything in the States is perfect! 🙂
Cooking over Halloween? Try my Corn-on-the-coals. Great for a campfire (or bonfire night).
I always think it’s such a shame that we get through a ton of pumpkins around Halloween but only ever seem to use them for scaring small children! Pumpkins are cheap, in abundance and have great tasting flesh if cooked right.
Albeit I’m banging on about Halloween, pumpkin pie really reminds me of my Yiayia (that’s grandmother to you), she used to make these delicious Greek pastries stuffed with pumpkin and I used to literally inhale them.
Check out my top Halloween recipes for some Halloween food inspiration!
A note on pumpkins – the smaller they are the sweeter they will be. My how to make pumpkin pie is about wholesome comfort food. And a great way to make something delicious out of something really cheap that you’re buying anyway to stick a tealight in and sit on your windowsill – why waste all that lovely food?!
Nothing goes better with pumpkin pie than vanilla whipped cream; I tend to whisk up double cream with a bit of icing sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence.
Goes well scary Halloween outfits, screaming kids and fireworks in the sky (oh, and a decent dollop of clotted cream!) Why not also try Smores on the campfire or charred corn on the cob?
Pumpkin Pie Recipe - How to make pumpkin pie
Delicious Pumpkin Pie Recipe - How to make pumpkin pie
- 500g raw pumpkin flesh skinned and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 100g brown soft sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 150ml double cream
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- Good pinch salt
- Few good grinds of black pepper
- Ready made shortcrust pastry
- Coco powder for dusting
- Step 1 Pre-heated oven 180c FAN
- Step 2 8 inch circular pastry tin
- Step 3 Drizzle the pumpkin flesh with olive oil and roast in the oven at 180c for around 25-30 minutes. You want a slight colour and the flesh to be soft to the touch.
- Step 4 While the pumpkin is roasting, prepare your pastry by rolling out to the thickness of a £1 coin and then place in the base of your baking tray, and dust with cocoa powder.
- Step 5 Lay sheet of greaseproof paper over your pastry and add some baking balls (I use some uncooked rice which works just as well!).
- Step 6 Blind bake for 30 minutes at 180c.
- Step 7 Remove the baking sheet and weight and put back in the oven for five minutes to dry out the base. Once done remove from the oven and let cool.
- Step 8 Let the pumpkin flesh cool a little after cooking and then blend (or mash really well) and push through a course sieve to remove any stringy pieces. Then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Step 9 Give it a really good mix (it will look a lot lighter in colour than the picture before cooking)
- Step 10 Pour the mixture into your cooked pastry base, pop in the oven at 180c (170c Fan) for about 30-40 mins (check at 30!) it will be browned, firm with a very slight wobble.
- Step 11 Test by inserting a sharp knife into the pie – if it comes out clean it is cooked, if not, pop it back into the oven for five minutes.
- Step 12 Remove and let cool.