My king prawn canapes recipe is literally finger licking gorgeous; nutty, creamy, fragrant… welcome to the meeting of King Prawns and Amaretto…
Prawn canapes are a great recipe to have up your sleeve to add a little decadence to your dinner party.
I used to live in America for about 5 years in total. It was during my time there that I created a version of this dish (about 15 years ago!) but only recently resurrected it when I finally found some Amaretto hiding in a cupboard…
I’ve cooked my king prawn canapes for one of my popup restaurant nights and they were a huge hit so I recommend having a try for your next dinner party!
King Prawn Canapes in Amaretto Cream
Serves 12 – Ingredients:
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Tablespoon of butter
Dozen king prawns (bigger the better!)
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/2 onion finely chopped
Shot of amaretto or disaronno
Shot of double cream
Chives finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Tablespoon or two of water
Toasted almond flakes
Prawn Canapes Recipe – Method:
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in the butter and oil until soft and translucent (don’t burn – slow gentle heat).
- Add the Amaretto and flambe, then turn off the heat.
- Add the cream and gently warm through, add a splash of water to loosen the sauce if too thick and put to one side.
- In a separate pan, sear the prawns in a little olive oil until cooked through then turn off the heat, let cool for a minute before pouring in the sauce.
- Warm through, add a tiny bit of lemon juice, season and taste. You want a balance of warmth and sweetness from the disaronno but balanced with the salt and just a touch of the lemon juice to offset the sweetness..
- You may at this stage need to add some more water to loosen.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chives and flaked almonds.
Goes well with some nice bread, cold white wine and a lack of inhibitions to lick the plate guilt free…