Sweet Potato & Broccoli Calzone – sponsored by Fruit Bowl
These ‘pizza pockets’ are great for kids as you can include any leftover or pre-cooked vegetables and not only taste great but are a lot of fun to make. I’ve cheated and used pre-made short crust pastry to make these a little quicker and easier!
Check out the whole 5-day meal plan at FiveDinners.com
Sweet Potato & Broccoli Calzone - sponsored by Fruit Bowl
Make your own kid-friendly calzone including two of your five a day. Part of the Fruit Bowl sponsored meal plan on FiveDinners.com
- Pre-heated oven 200FAN/220c
- Rolling Pin
- Mixing bowl
- frying pan
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled, diced 1 cm cubes
- 1 head of broccoli coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- 1 mozzarella ball
- 1 egg whisked
- Pinch flour for dusting
- 325 g short-crust pastry pre-made/shop bought
- Step 1 FILLING
- Step 2 Start by preparing the sweet potato and frying in a little olive oil.
- Step 3 Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the sweet potato is cooking.
- Step 4 Add the onions and garlic to the pan with the sweet potato, followed by the broccoli.
- Step 5 Then pour in about 100ml water (careful as it will create a lot of steam) and immediately cover and leave to steam for about 5-10 minutes.
- Step 6 Once the sweet potato and vegetables are tender remove from the heat, stir in the tomato puree, season and leave to cool while you prepare the pastry.
- Step 7 Roll out pastry to thickness of 3mm and cut into four equal squares.
- Step 8 ASSEMBLE
- Step 9 Line baking tray with parchment, place one pastry square on tray.
- Step 10 Spoon quarter of the filling onto one half of the pastry
- Step 11 Sprinkle over some cheese and ripped mozzarella
- Step 12 Wet the edge of the pastry around the filling with the whisked egg and fold pastry over filling and seal the edge by pressing down and clipping together with your fingertips.
- Step 13 Brush with eggwash and continue until all four calzones are done.
- Step 14 Bake in pre-heated oven for approx. 20 minutes or until top is golden
- Step 15 remove and serve!
- Step 16 Serve with side salad or baked beans!