My king prawn canapes recipe is literally finger licking gorgeous; nutty, creamy, fragrant… welcome to the meeting of King Prawns and Amaretto…
Prawn canapes are a great recipe to have up your sleeve to add a little decadence to your dinner party.
I used to live in America for about 5 years in total. It was during my time there that I created a version of this dish (about 15 years ago!) but only recently resurrected it when I finally found some Amaretto hiding in a cupboard…
I’ve cooked my king prawn canapes for one of my popup restaurant nights and they were a huge hit so I recommend having a try for your next dinner party!
King Prawn Canapes in Amaretto Cream
Serves 12 – Ingredients:
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Tablespoon of butter
Dozen king prawns (bigger the better!)
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/2 onion finely chopped
Shot of amaretto or disaronno
Shot of double cream
Chives finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Tablespoon or two of water
Toasted almond flakes
Prawn Canapes Recipe – Method:
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in the butter and oil until soft and translucent (don’t burn – slow gentle heat).
- Add the Amaretto and flambe, then turn off the heat.
- Add the cream and gently warm through, add a splash of water to loosen the sauce if too thick and put to one side.
- In a separate pan, sear the prawns in a little olive oil until cooked through then turn off the heat, let cool for a minute before pouring in the sauce.
- Warm through, add a tiny bit of lemon juice, season and taste. You want a balance of warmth and sweetness from the disaronno but balanced with the salt and just a touch of the lemon juice to offset the sweetness..
- You may at this stage need to add some more water to loosen.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chives and flaked almonds.
Goes well with some nice bread, cold white wine and a lack of inhibitions to lick the plate guilt free…
Subscribe and get new recipes and updates straight to your inbox
Almost done! Please click the activation link on the email we have just sent you. Thank you.
Something went wrong - please contact us to get you started!