Is there such a thing as an easy moussaka recipe? Yes, as it happens there is. Not only an easy moussaka recipe, but one cooked in five minutes in a mug in the microwave!
This microwave mug recipe – moussaka in a mug comes straight out of my cookbook.
Moussaka is one of those famous Greek recipes that everyone loves (well, not everyone – but we don’t talk about the anti-moussaka brigade :)).
Most moussaka recipes are a labour of love; I can’t lie, there is no such thing as an easy moussaka recipe when cooked in the traditional manner. To make a moussaka properly takes a little time. When I cook one for the family I fry all the vegetables first, makes the sauces and after about a zillion hours finally assemble the dish.
Curious About Microwave Mug Recipes? Check these out!
And to be fair, a good moussaka is worth the wait and effort, and if you make enough you can even have leftovers the next day.
When I was developing the recipes for my first cookbook ‘Microwave Mug Meals’ published by Lorenz Books I wanted to create a moussaka that had all the criteria of something authentic. A creamy béchamel sauce, layers of aubergine, a rich tomato mince sauce and a scent that would fill the house with notes of cinnamon and images of sitting at a Greek taverna.
But could be cooked in a mug, in the microwave and still taste like a moussaka!
Want more Greek food? So do I…
So here goes, my easy moussaka recipe cooked in a mug in the microwave!
Microwaved Moussaka in a Mug Recipe
Equipment: Microwave (800w), 300ml mug- served on a side plate
Ingredients – Béchamel Sauce:
1 tbl/10g/0.3oz butter
1 tbl/7g/0.2 oz flour
100ml/3.3fl oz milk
50g/1.8oz grated chedder cheese (use mature for extra cheesy flavour!)
Ingredients – Moussaka:
15g/0.5oz onion diced
1 clove garlic finely diced
1 tsp/5ml/0.17fl oz dried oregano
1 tsp/5ml/0.17fl oz ground cinnamon
1.5tsp/7.5ml/2.5fl oz tomato ketchup
70g/2.5oz minced lamb
2tbl/30ml/1fl oz parsley chopped
½ tbl/7.5ml/0.25fl oz olive oil
3 discs of aubergine (cut aubergine widthways about 1 inch thick)
Method – Moussaka:
- Combine all the ingredients together for the Moussaka except the aubergine and mix thoroughly.
- Assemble your Moussaka; place a few drops of olive in the bottom of your mug, then place one disc of aubergine so it lies flat on the bottom (trim it slightly if it doesn’t fit, but it’s OK for it to be a bit snug).
- Then add half the mince mixture on top of the aubergine pressing it down gently, then another disc of aubergine, then the remaining mince and finally the third disc of aubergine.
- Microwave uncovered for 5 minutes and rest in the mug while you prepare the Bechamel Sauce.
Method – Bechamel Sauce:
- To make the Bechamel sauce melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds before combining with the flour, mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add a quarter of the milk and mix into a paste with a fork before adding the remaining milk. Don’t worry, at this stage it will be a lumpy, sticky, mess.
- Microwave uncovered for 30 seconds, remove and whisk with a fork thoroughly.
- Microwave again for 1 minute before finishing by adding the cheese and seasoning.
- Put a plate (facing down) on top of the mug with the Moussaka. Holding both together flip them over so the mug is now upside down on the side plate. Give it a gentle shake and slowly lift the mug to reveal your towering Moussaka. Then drizzle the bechamel sauce over the top and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
In a word – magnificent!
Get more stuff like this
Join TheoCooks Today
Subscribe to TheoCooks.com today and get free recipes and updates to your email inbox.
Please check your email to activate your membership - thank you!
Something went wrong - please contact us to get you started!