Easy Apple Pie Recipe with Pink Peppercorns and a little hint of cinnamon.
Easy apple pie recipe..love it…and by the way – if it doesn’t have pastry at the bottom, in my books that ain’t no pie!
Who doesn’t love a freshly baked apple pie?
An apple pie is quite a special thing, possibly one of the very few ‘true’ comfort foods. I don’t want a reconstructed apple pie, I don’t want an apple pie perfectly neat. I want it gnarly, I want too much pastry, I want it home cooked, I want it how I remember having it as a kid.
I’m a big fan of ‘pies’ but don’t tend to make them (I mean I can’t keep this figure eating pastry all day!). But I do love a humble pie, especially dessert pies (my other favourite is pumpkin pie).
This easy apple pie recipe is super simple (I don’t peel the apples and I use store bought pastry). Just assemble the whole thing, whack it in the oven and voila! You have the humble apple pie ready to devour.
The one thing I have done is added a few pink peppercorns, I’m not sure why but at the time of making this recipe I had an urge for a little spice and it worked really well.
Anyway, make it, serve it with lashings of double cream or ice cream and just enjoy.
Nothing quite like a homemade apple pie to soothe the soul on a rainy day…
Easy Apple Pie Recipe with Pink Peppercorns
Deliciously simple easy apple pie recipe with pink peppercorns
- 250g pre-made short crust pastry
- 500g Braeburn Apples, cored and sliced
- 3 tbsp caster sugar + extra for dusting
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp pink peppercorns
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour + extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, whisked
- Pinch of sea salt
- Step 1 Use a 9×6 cake dish – Pre-heat oven 180cFAN
- Step 2 Slice the apples in half, remove the core and slice ½ cm thick with the skin on.
- Step 3 Place the apples into a bowl and combine with 1 tbsp flour, cinnamon, pink peppercorns, caster sugar and lemon juice.
- Step 4 Roll out the bottom pastry layer on a worksurface to a thickness of about £1 coin, make sure it is larger than the baking tin and lay it inside with the edges overhanging.
- Step 5 Pour apple mixture into the baking tin on top of the pastry.
- Step 6 Make eggwash by whisking the egg and adding a dash of water to loosen.
- Step 7 Roll out another layer of pastry slightly bigger than the surface of the baking tin, brush a little of the egg wash around the edge of the overlapping pastry in the tin and then place the top layer on top. Squeeze the edges together and cut away any excess pastry.
- Step 8 Brush the eggwash over the top of the pastry, sprinkle with pinch of sugar and sea salt.
- Step 9 Stab a small hole in the centre of the pastry to release the steam when cooking.
- Step 10 Bake for 40-45minutes and let it reach room temperature before serving.
- Step 11 Chef’s Tips:You can add any other berries you have to hand (raspberries, blueberries, even frozen ones work great).
Subscribe and get new recipes and updates straight to your inbox
Almost done! Please click the activation link on the email we have just sent you. Thank you.
Something went wrong - please contact us to get you started!