Let your inner caveman loose and indulge in this ridiculously simple but oh so indulgent bone marrow recipe (can I even call it a recipe?).
Roasted Bone Marrow Recipe with Gratin, the gratin is what makes this dish, it gives the crunch that is needed. Perfect as a starter, light lunch or just a ‘what the hell’ moment of hedonism!
I love that this is so simple, so unadulterated, so rich.. For me it ticks all the boxes; it is slippery, crunchy, sweet, salty and lets be fair – it looks pretty damn good as far as roasted bones go..
I still take great pleasure in freaking out my wife and kids as I suck the marrow from a bone!
Bone Marrow Recipe – Ingredients:
Beef bones (marrow included) – 1 per person (cut horizontally like the ones in my picture or if cut vertically you want them no more than about 3 inches high) – your butcher can do this, equally you can find bone marrow in some good quality supermarkets.
Herbs – thyme, rosemary
Chilli flakes are optional.
I’m actually a little embarrassed to write this as it’s so easy but hell – why not..
- Mix your breadcrumbs with your chopped up herbs (any earthy herbs work; thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.) and season, then add any chilli flakes if desired (just a tiny pinch).
- Put your bone marrow on some foil on a baking tray, cover with breadcrumbs (no need to oil them).
- Pop into the oven for about 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of your bones) at 180C for a fan assisted oven.
- Remove from the oven once the breadcrumbs are golden and the bone marrow is bubbling.
- Serve with a slice of toast or if the bone marrow is cut vertically a sprig of thyme or rosemary sticking out looks good!.
Goes well on it’s own with a nice glass of white wine (or a light red) or even as a starter to a decent steak!
Subscribe and get new recipes and updates straight to your inbox
Almost done! Please click the activation link on the email we have just sent you. Thank you.
Something went wrong - please contact us to get you started!